Sunday, March 30, 2008

Into every life...a little rain...


It's been a bit of a rough week around here. Two woman I know and love received a diagnosis of cancer. One of them, my grandmother, is 92 years old. She has elected not to receive treatments other than relief of pain as she requires it. She is a spunky sort of grandmother. She has crammed a lot of living into her 92 years. I imagine she has few regrets as she has run the good race and lived a grand life. It is hard not to think about her without recalling one of a million funny stories she has provided for our family. I pray that her doctors can find a way to keep her pain to a minimum and that we, her family, can comfort her in the way that she needs.

A dear friend, the mother of two young girls, also received a diagnosis of cancer this week. I hoped and prayed fervently that this would not be the news that she heard. She is young and vibrant. She has so much to fight for. It is so hard to understand why bad things happen to such good people, but she is strong and ready to fight. In what I am coming to realize is her typical, admirable, concern for others, she actually offered a shoulder for ME when she found out about my grandmother's diagnosis. I admire so much about my friend...her compassion, her grace, her love for her family and friends. I pray for my own strength and wisdom as I prepare to stand shoulder to shoulder in the trenches with her and fight in any way I can.

Finally, it appears that our hope of the domestic adoption is at an end. We knew complications were present that would make it difficult, but it seems they may be insurmountable. It is a bitter pill to swallow, but I am still glad that we made the attempt. I pray for this child and for his family. I am comforted to know he is with his grandmother who adores the ground he walks on. He is loved and cared for. I pray this will give him the foundation he needs to live a full, happy life.

I am so HAPPY to report that tomorrow we will close on the selling of our condo. We moved into our house in December and have been waiting (none too patiently I might add!) for a buyer for the condo. Admittedly, I am a bit nostalgic in saying good bye to our happy home on Potters Place. It is the house we brought Lia home to in 2006. But I am thrilled for the young buyers who will begin a new life there tomorrow. May they have as much happiness as we did.

And so another week begins. If we don't answer when you call it's because we are out looking for the sun.




7 comments:

Jboo said...

So sorry to hear the sad news about both your grandmother's and your friend. Sending good thoughts and prayers their way and yours too.

Janet

Erin said...

Dear Kate... You DID have a really hard, trying week! I feel sad for you. I hope things look up for you. I was excited to follow the adoption of your baby boy, and am sad to hear that it is not to be. To answer your question, you are welcome to link to my blog. My attempts at linking to other's blogs haven't worked, so I will soon try it again, and I will link to yours too!

Bridget said...

I am so sorry to hear about all of your sad news. Here's to a better week for you with a little sunshine!

Doug and Terrye said...

Oh Kate, I'm so sorry!!! I think Eyeore wants his little black rain cloud back. :(
When I told Grace how sad my friend Kate was she said she would pray for you :) (and so will I)

Terrye in FL

Denise C said...

I will stand with you sweet friend and pray with you for both your sweet grandmother and your dear friend! You are such a blessing to both of these dear ladies I am sure...and I know they will be so blessed by your love for them in the coming days!
Standing in the Gap with you!!!
Denise

Don and Lisa Osborn said...

Dear Kate,

I just left you an email and now popped over here to find more sad news.

My friend, I am so sorry about your grandmother and friend. I pray God will give you strength and wisdom to know how to minister to these dear ladies during these very scary times.

Be strong and take comfort knowing prayers are being uttered on your behalf (and theirs, too).

Love you,
Lisa

Heather said...

Dear Kate -

I am so sory for the double whammy received this week. I will add your grandmother and your friend to my prayer chain. I pray for all of those folks during my "quiet" time.

As far as the adoption, nothing can appease your hurting heart, but we know you can rest in the glory that God's plan is bigger and better than anything you could have imagined - your words are best...bitter pill to swallow.

You will be in my thoughts and prayers, friend. I'm off to get Emily, but I plan to email you later:)

Love,
Heather