Saturday, January 10, 2009

Snow Ball 2009...or...Where does time go??

My niece, my first niece, the girl I love more than life turned 14 a few weeks ago. I remember every detail of the day she was born. My sister and brother in law lived in Minneapolis at the time and we spent a very long day half a country away waiting for the phone to ring. We were thrilled when we learned that Renee had been born and all was well.

And then...seemingly in the blink of an eye...she turned 14.

Last night Renee attended her first formal dance. With, ahem...a boy. The 8th grade Snow Ball has been the topic of discussion for quite some time and every detail from the dress to the...ahem...date, to the shoes (oh my...the shoes!) was discussed in great detail.

I have to say...when I saw the pictures last night, my heart skipped a beat or two. I work with 8th graders everyday, but it startled me somehow to see my Renee so grown up...and beautiful. She took my breath away. I am beyond proud of her. She excels academically. She dances like an angel. She is kind and patient with her younger cousins. And although I haven't witnessed it firsthand, I hear she can ski like a champ. As I start to seem glimpses of the adult she will become, I can hardly wait to see what direction she will choose in life (although officially, Renee, I am in no hurry for you to grow up!).

...and Renee...one last thing...from your somewhat vertically challenged aunt...I know the shoe issue (or perhaps, more specifically, your mom's opinion of the shoes!) was a big hurdle for you...but I say if you can pull off heels like that for an entire dance...more power to you! :-)


P1010121

P1010137

P1010141

12 comments:

Missy said...

She is absolutely beautiful, Kate! Wow,since when did 14 year olds start looking so mature? She's stunning and yes, if she can pull off wearing those heels, then she is my hero! : )

Joannah said...

She's gorgeous!

My oldest niece is 17 today! I can't believe how fast she's grown up. She's such a blessing to us.

Anonymous said...

Aunt Katie,
Thanks for putting such a nice article on your blog. I'm gonna try not to grow anymore;) Tell Lia and uncle Jim I said hi! See you soon.
--Renee

fleur de lis cottage said...

Your niece is absolutely beautiful. I agree with Missy; fourteen year olds look so much more mature these days. I bet she had so much fun shopping for her dress. Oh the memories....

my3 kids said...

What a beautiful girl she is...you must be so proud...hope she had a fun evening.

Half Gaelic, Half Garlic! said...

Oh my goodness, she is stunning....such a beautiful girl...and so sweet too, I just read her comment!!

Hope you are all enjoying this snowy weekend:)

Lisa

Jboo said...

Oh my -- she is beautiful!! Hope she and her date (isn't he so cute!!) have/had a wonderful time!

Enjoy your weekend.
Janet

Sue said...

Okay ,that last picture of her and her date is the cutest!

Sue : )

Heather said...

Kate -

Renee is beautiful!! I know all too well the joy that comes from being an aunt and the realization that it all goes way too quickly!

I love her shoes!! And I bet she had them off by the time she hit the dance floor:) Oh, no, that is me, now that I am ollldd!

Thanks for sharing your beautiful niece with us.

Heather

Jennifer said...

Your niece is gorgeous!

To be 14 again and going to school dances......

Jen

Ivy Shaffer said...

What a gorgeous young lady! I feel the same about my nieces too. The youngest just turned 13 and it seemed like yesterday when I was changing her diapers!

Very elegant and beautful niece, I'm sure you are so proud.

Ivy

Kam said...

How sweet! She is beautiful! She rocks with those shoes!